Don’t Sweat Your Pet: spring cleaning with cats
This post is sponsored by Febreze.
By the looks of the superbloom starting around Southern California, spring is on its way. Spring season here in Palm Springs means a few things: bikini shopping, air conditioning, landscape remodeling, pool resurfacing and – of course – spring cleaning. I look forward to/dread each year’s deep spring clean. No matter how much work it is though, there’s nothing quite like the satisfaction of a really clean house!
There are always a few things working against me and my clean house. Their names are Gabriel, Savannah, Jake and Marceline. Two are children and two are cats. I’ll admit, cats are not as messy as dogs, but they still leave their hair everywhere (along with hairball pukes and a general smell of animal). Of course, our pets are worth the extra house chores though! This spring, make sure you are including your pet’s spaces in your master cleaning list, whether if you just took the plunge into pet ownership or have been loving your pets for a long time.
Here are a few furry friend chores to add to your spring cleaning list:
- wash/sun dry cat beds – soft surfaces can often develop a stale scent of animal. Make sure to thoroughly wash the beds and leave them out in the sun to deodorize. Then give them a spray down with Febreze FABRIC Pet Odor Eliminator.
- groom with de-shedding tool – be proactive with pet shedding by using a de-shedding tool on your animals. As the weather warms, they will be shedding more so now is the perfect time to catch up on grooming.
- deep clean litter boxes – for the most part, litter boxes can be kept clean by simply scooping the clumps out on a regular basis. But every so often, it’s important to empty the litter boxes completely, wash and sanitize them. I like to use white vinegar to help deodorize.
- spray soft surfaces – make sure to pay extra attention to the soft spaces your cats love to lounge on. Spot clean, vacuum and spray with Febreze FABRIC Pet Odor Eliminator to remove unwanted pet smells.
- finish with air spray – once the areas are deep-cleaned, refresh the air with Febreze AIR Heavy Duty Pet Odor Eliminator.
Back when I was considering adopting a kitten or two, my main concern was the mess. I’ve always been an animal lover but I struggle sharing my space with them. I know some don’t mind the hair everywhere and general smell of animal in the home, but I certainly do. Luckily, there are pet-specific Febreze products that are safe for use around pets. For the air around you, there is Febreze AIR Heavy Duty Pet Odor Eliminator with up to 2x more odor eliminating power. This can be used throughout the entire house to keep pet odors away.
Soft spaces can be the trickiest places to eliminate pet odors. With Febreze Fabric Pet Odor Eliminator, you can refresh hard-to-wash fabrics like clothing, upholstery, carpets and blankets. A little spritz goes a long way! You only need to make the surfaces slightly damp to achieve odor removal.
Ready to get your house clean for spring? You can find the Febreze product line in your local Petsmart! Learn more about Febreze here