Sarah and myself started In The Know Mom for a lot of reasons several years ago. About five and a half years ago we became friends from our similar likes and passions. We both refused to settle for plastic toys that everyone seemed to have. Melissa, has a very similar story, but hers was driven from need versus want. Her first son was born at 24 weeks weighing only 24 ounces. If you’ve been pregnant, and had any type of complication, you understand the fear and information doctors put in front of you. She was told every little thing that could go wrong with her son and that he would never be “normal” like other kids. How completely devastating for a new mother! From that moment on, Melissa researched every toy company in search of items that would enhance sensorial perspective. She wanted toys that would provide challenges and engage her son giving him a sense of accomplishment. She looked for natural and sustainable toys, not those annoying toys that light up and repeat the same songs over and over again. Just like Sarah and I, Melissa found what she was looking for in the European market. Today, Melissa’s son is a healthy and thriving two-year old who at times is actually ahead of the learning curve!
In 2012, Melissa made the decision to take all the research that she had done along with her tested toys to the rest of us in the US. She created Little Pnuts, a toy subscription service that sends appropriate toys to your home four times a year. She actually categorizes them out by age – infants (0 to 12 months), toddlers (12 to 36 months), and preschoolers (3 to 5 years). One of my favorite things is that with each box, she includes a detailed information brochure about how each toy actually helps your child master different developmental milestones. It’s truly amazing! In the boxes you’ll find organic, eco-friendly, handmade and sustainable brands like Green Toys, Makedo, Haba, Plan Toys and so much more. Each toy is powered by your child, not a set of batteries. You can purchase just one box for $25 a month (for three months) or a fully year for $240. This way you can pay in full or spread out the payments.
The box I received to sample was the 3 – 6 Month box. My brochure told me all about the developmental milestones on where my daughter is now. It told me about her fine & Gross Motor skills, Cognitive skills as well as social/verbal. It also has play ideas, like blowing bubbles to help encourage them to reach out and touch things.
Inside my special delivery, I found the following toys:
- Haba wooden Flower Clutching toy. The flowers spin and can be pulled which shows your child cause and effect
- Haba Fidella. This is a plush toy that’s both a butterfly and a flower. You can put the butterfly inside the flower or play with them separately. Ironically this was a toy my daughter had received from Sarah, and had been her favorite toy. She seriously freaks out when she sees the butterfly. Both pieces have crinkle fabric in them and helps with fine gross motor skills, sensory development, hand-eye coordination and sound recognition.
- Sevi Pom Pom Rattle. If you have a little one in this age group, then you know they love strings and balls. This toy is seriously such a perfect fit and I hadn’t even heard of the company before. This toy helps with motor skills, stimulates hearing and viewing. My daughter grabs on to the pom poms and yanks them around. So much fun.
- Plan Toys Lady Bug Bead. Holy moly this toy has my daughter’s heart. It fits perfectly in her hand, she’ll shake it and the beads on the underbelly make a little rattle sound. She also loves to take her finger and spin the beads individually. This is seriously one of the best toys and I absolutely love it!!
- Haba Mermaid Squirter. My daughter has recently made the move from infant tub to sitting up in a tub supervised and now that she sits up, she can play with toys in the bath. I honestly thought this was just any old toy squirter. I was sadly mistaken. I have no idea what this magical toy is to my daughter, whether it’s the colors, shape or feel but she is obsessed with this toy. So much so that she actually cries and freaks out as I try to take it out of her hands at the end of bath time. She could care less about any other toys in there. This is by far the only thing she cares about. She’ll grab it and slam it into the water making huge splashes.
I know there are other subscription programs for toys out there. I have to say that this is the only one that has the same beliefs and toy standards that I have myself. If you were to come to my house right now and survey the toys my daughter plays with, you’d see that the toys from this box are almost exclusively the ones she loves. I just talked to my husband last night about ordering the next size box for her. I highly recommend Little Pnuts for your kids or even as a gift for someone you know. Check out their site for more information on their toys as well as their subscriptions.
special thanks for product provided in order to conduct this review