GF Lemon Broccoli Pasta Salad with Tofu “Ricotta”
This post is sponsored by Barilla but the content and opinions expressed here are my own.
There’s a million reasons why I love this time of year in Palm Springs, but one big one is the bounty hanging from our lemon tree. Right now I have about 20 huge (and I mean huge) lemons picked, ready to juice and another 15-20 still on the tree. This year was one of my best harvests because the lemons are SO juicy. I’ve been adding lemon to all kinds of our meals lately and this recipe – Lemon Broccoli Pasta Salad with Tofu “Ricotta” is one of my favorites.
Cold pasta salad is something I make almost every week. I rarely make it for a family dinner but rather it’s something that can sit in the fridge, ready for a busy day’s lunch. It’s always nice to have a jar of something in the fridge that is ready to eat, no heating required. It’s great on the go, great for work/school lunches and also great eaten out of the jar while standing in front of the fridge.
There are a lot of great pasta salad recipes out there but none of them are good without a great pasta. I’m not gluten-free bc my willpower is not perfect, but I do limit the amount of wheat we eat as a family. I always use gluten-free pasta, though finding the right one has been a true journey! I don’t think I’ll ever use another kind since trying the new Barilla Chickpea Pasta.
This gluten-free pasta has the best texture. It cooks well, doesn’t fall apart and doesn’t get gummy or chewy. Unlike traditional pasta, you’re getting plant-based protein in addition to fiber and minerals with this chickpea version. Made entirely with one simple ingredient, chickpeas, this legume pasta is a delicious, protein-rich alternative to wheat pastas. Barilla Chickpea Pasta is naturally gluten-free, vegan, non-GMO and made with one of the most sustainable crops on Earth, legumes.
Lemon Broccoli Pasta Salad
- 1 box Barilla Chickpea Pasta
- 2 lbs broccoli, cut into small florets, stems saved for another recipe
- juice and zest from 1 large lemon (about 2 TBl)
- 4 Tbl quality extra virgin olive oil
- 3 Tbl red wine vinegar
- vegan parmesan cheese
- 3/4 cup tofu “ricotta”
- salt, pepper to taste
- 1 block sprouted tofu (or extra firm tofu), drained well
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 Tbl nutritional yeast
- 1 Tbl white miso paste
- 1/2 tsp salt (Celtic or Himalayan)
- 1 Tbl extra virgin olive oil, optional for consistency
- To make the tofu ricotta, combine all ingredients (except olive oil) in a food processor. Pulse to combine into a smooth, creamy texture. Add olive oil IF you’d like a smoother consistency. Feel free to also add fresh herbs like basil or parsley.
- Bring a large post of salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook according to package. Drain and dump into a large mixing bowl. Add broccoli and toss together with olive oil and vinegar. Add lemon juice/zest, parmesan cheese, salt, pepper, stirring to combine. Lightly fold in the tofu ricotta.
- Place pasta salad in the fridge to cool for an hour+ before serving.